Monday, January 5, 2009

Over 110 Inches in the Last 4 Weeks and Still Snowing...

I can honestly say I have never seen this much snow at my house, which sits on the "mesa" (the flatlands off the mountains) since I moved to Taos in 1999. The beginning of the season has been pretty epic and shows no sign of stopping. In the last four weeks, we have received over 110 inches of snow and it is still snowing in Taos Ski Valley as I write. The most recent storm has left 20 inches in a 24-hour period, adding to the ridiculous powder stashes that are already in place on the mountain.

At my house, which is located at 7,000 feet surrounded by sagebrush, we usually see an average of 12 inches a year (and it usually melts within a day or two). We have already had about 3 feet of snow here and almost all of it is still here (I took these pictures this morning). My wife and I have now resorted to taking our dogs on their daily walks in snowshoes because we couldn't without them! Tito, the Powderhound, is loving life.

January happens to be a great time (especially with all this snow!) to take advantage of one of Taos Ski Valley's great deals. The world famous Ernie Blake Ski School is offering a $90 Ski Better Week during the month of January. This is normally $234 per person for 6 mornings of this great program. Check it out.

Bret




No comments: